Friday, January 25, 2008

Hotel Heck or 5 Opryland Complaints

I have been lucky enough to spend the past week or so in the Gaylord Opryland Hotel and Convention Center, the biggest, fanciest (ie most expensive) hotel I’ve ever stayed in. I’ve got a few complaints.

1. Every night when I go to bed, I have to move three pillows out of the way. I throw them on the other bed, but what if I had a roommate? I guess those pillows would hit the floor.

2. Every evening when I return to my room (after working 12-15 hours) I hit the bathroom. When I wash my hands, the nice little hanger where the hand towel goes has the hand towel on it, but hanging on top of that is a washcloth. I don’t typically use a washcloth. But there’s another washcloth with the bath towels, plus one at the second sink just outside the bathroom. I have enough wash cloths. I take that off, set it on the counter and use the towel. The next day, the washcloth is still folded neatly sitting on the counter where I left it, but now, another washcloth is covering my new clean hand towel. I accumulated three washcloths this way before I wrinkled them a bit and threw them on the counter.

3. I have to walk a country mile to get from where I’m staying to where I’m working. And when I say a country mile, I am barely exaggerating. There are 9.5 acres of garden, trees, and a river inside this building. I can take a boat ride inside. My room is in the opposite end of the building from where I am working.

4. Back to towels. The rack for the bath towels hangs just outside my shower and the big, fluffy towels are literally squeezed onto the bar. I have to pull them off, which means I have to hold one and pull the other, or both will come out, which is dangerous since they’re directly above the toilet.

5. This Hotel/convention center complex has several restaurants, including one called Stax, where the signs advertise “Build your own burger.” Now if ever there was a restaurant calling my name, this place seemed to be it. I pictured Chipotle or Subway but for me. Except, it wasn’t. It was a less-than-mediocre, soaked-in-water burger, heated in a microwave served with a plastic container full of lettuce, tomato, pickle and onions that, if I wanted, I could put on myself. That’s not build your own, that’s lazy.

I’ll blog what I like about Opryland Hotel, although, I’ll need photos for that.

1 comment:

Mike said...

wow Larry, that does sound like heck alright (not quite bad enough to earn the "hell" label).

Everyone's been asking about you at improv, but we didn't know to tell them about you staying in a fancy hotel that over-pampers you with towels and pillows... now we know the truth.

Have a good rest of the trip!