Thursday, February 12, 2009

A new experience

I did something today I have never done in the past 44 years of my existence. That’s right, I put myself out there, tried something new, lived on the edge, stepped outside my comfort zone so to speak, and it felt good.
Some of you who know me may not be surprised and others may be. In a game of truth, truth, lie, I could have lied this and gotten one over on people.
Here’s the big experience (which isn’t that big):
I bought a book on the very day it was released.
First time.
Every book I’ve ever read, and there’s been quite a few, including new novels released by Chuck Palahniuk, Nick Hornby and even Kurt Vonnegut, my favorite of favorites, were bought well after the release date. None have moved me to purchase on the day of release like Fool, by Christpher Moore.
Usually, I wait for books to go on sale, to drop in price, come out in paperback at least, but I so anticipated this book that I reread King Lear. Shakespeare of all things, and not for a college class, because Fool is a novel about Lear’s Fool, and his take on the story therein.
Fool is Moore’s 11th novel, nine of which I have already read, making me, in my own mind, an Author Guy expert.
Maybe a big fan.
An admirer.
Perhaps, a stalker, at least on-line.
In my opinion, there’s no better author of the twisted tale, with a bite of irony, sarcasm and laugh out loud humor. Moore doesn’t just spin a funny tale, he spins an interesting tale with humor, like a more transparent Vonnegut, a less nihilistic Palahniuk and slightly subtler Douglas Adams.
Pretty good company, no?
Moore creates realistic comic characters with true comic perspectives, sometimes going outside the realm of reality to do it, but making them come alive none-the-less.
I discovered him late, after nine of his novels had already been published, and I missed the release of A Dirty Job, but I wasn’t going to miss Fool. I didn’t dress up like the release of a Harry Potter book, or Twilight, but I made the pilgrimage on the first day, and that’s what counts.

If you want to jump into Moore mayhem, here’ s the novels:
Practical Demonkeeping: Road trip with a demon. Nice. You got to love a story where a good well developed character is eaten on page 3.
Coyote Blue: A fantastic blend of modern city life, modern Indian life and ancient Indian lore. And a chase scene across the west.
Bloodsucking Fiends: New kid in town finds a hot new girlfriend, who happens to be newly vampired. She needs help adjusting and surviving, and he fits the bill – he works nights.
Island of the Sequined Love Nun: Playboy flyboy crashes the company jet while initiating a young lady into the mile high club. This starts a series of events that land him in the South Pacific, working for some shady folks, but what’s a suspended pilot to do?
The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove: A therapist stops the drug therapy she’s gotten the town hooked on, and when an ancient lizard arrives, hormones turn the town upside down.
Lamb: The Gospel according to Biff, Christ’s childhood pal: By far, his best book, telling the tale of Jesus and his friends during the years the Bible doesn’t cover. Laugh out loud adventures and not a lick of blaspheme.
Fluke: or I know why the winged whale sings: When a marine biologist sees a whale with the words You Suck painted on his tale, he becomes suspicious, and learns about some things he might not want to know about.
The Stupidest Angel: Raziel is sent to Earth to grant one Christmas wish to one lucky child. But the child just witness the death of a “lodge” Santa, which he mistakes for real, and wishes the dead man back to life. Zombies. (this tale incorporates characters from several other Moore novels. Not a good starter book.)
A Dirty Job: Being Death is a dirty job, but someone has to do it, even if that someone is a Beta Male, the kind who is reluctant to take the lead.

You Suck: A Love Story: the sequel to Bloodsucking Fiends, which I actually started reading before I knew it was a sequel. A few chapters in and I couldn’t figure out why things seemed weird, and then I discovered my mistake.

I encourage you to dip your funny bone into Mr. Moore, and coat it with genius.
Peace
Larry

No comments: